Art School blaze traced to basement degree project

Commenting on the findings GSA director professor Tom Inns said: “The fire was an accident and, like any accident, it’s caused by many different factors coming together and conspiring against us on the day. Photography by McAteer The Scottish Fire Rescue Service report singled out an installation of foam panels affixed to the walls of a basement studio, which they believe caught light when propellant contained within a can of expanding foam was sucked into a neighbouring projector and ignited. There are a huge number of lessons that can be learned and we’ve been working very hard over the last six months on our health and safety procedures, training and so on. The GSA has also commissioned an external review of its management of the incident.

Updated: 28.11.2014 — 00:30